The Ultimate BBQ Guide is free today on Amazon Kindle.
This great ebook (also available in paperback) includes marinades, dry rubs, sauces, smoking, meat, fish, poultry, sides and salad recipes. It is the perfect book for any type of BBQ.
Here are the all important links:
I have decided to re-name today, and every Tuesday from here on in, Taco Tuesday! Who doesn’t love tacos? Especially on a drab Tuesday… They are tasty, easy and best of all MESSY!
Mexican spiced pork with a hint of smokey barbeque (or barbecue / BBQ?) served in a crispy corn tortilla shell and topped with avocado. These are great for dinner parties as everyone gets stuck in and makes their own. They are also perfect for kids as they will love assembling. Gluten and wheat free too. Let’s get down to business……
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ red onion – diced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1lb / 500g pack lean pork mince
- 1 ¼ cup / 300ml passata
- 5 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 14oz / 400g can black beans – drained and rinsed
- Small bunch cilantro (coriander) – chopped
- 8 taco shells
- 1 ripe avocado – peeled and sliced
- ½ iceberg lettuce – finely shredded
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sour cream and grated cheddar – to serve (optional)
- In a large frying pan add the oil and when hot add the onion. Add the spices and cook for one minute then add the pork ensuring to break up the mince so it separates, stir until cooked through (it will go white)
- Add the BBQ sauce and passata along with four tablespoons of water. Turn the heat up until the sauce starts to bubble and thickens slightly then add the beans. Stir through the cilantro.
- Heat the corn tortillas then fill with the pork and bean mixture top with shredded lettuce, avocado, cherry tomatoes, cheddar (if using) and spoon over some sour cream
If this doesn’t cheer you up on a Tuesday I don’t know what will. Tomorrow being Wednesday we will have a day of full eat’s ahead with some more new recipes.
What is your go to food when you’re feeling miserable?
Ok guys, super-duper apologies for my WIAW and blogging in general absence since December but I do have a very good excuse! I was working on my first cookbook which I am sooooo excited about it!
It is a Gluten-free Vegan cookbook and I have to say I am very proud of my first dip in to the cookbook world. It is live on Amazon as of this morning and will be available to download for FREE tomorrow 23rd January 2014.
Today’s post is a recipe from the book which I made for dinner last Friday and accompanied it with a spinach salad and, sorry to any vegans reading this, fillet steak . It is Potato and Tomato Gratin, it is dairy free, gluten-free and BLAND free!
Potato and Tomato Gratin (Bake)
4 large potatoes (peeled)
2 large tomatoes (sliced)
1 ¼ cup / 300ml soy milk
4 tsp corn flour
½ tsp sea salt
Few sprigs of fresh thyme (or any other herbs you prefer)
½ cup / 80g grated vegan cheddar (or your favourite cheese)
1 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
2 tsp garlic powder
- Place the potatoes in a pan of boiling water and cook for 7-10 minutes until half-cooked. Take them out and slice with a knife carefully as will be hot
- Brush a baking / Pyrex dish with olive oil and start layering starting with the potatoes then onion and season each layer as you go with the garlic, salt, pepper and herbs
- To make your sauce in a small bowl mix the corn flour with tepid water until is like a paste. Heat the soy milk in a saucepan and when hot but not boiling add the corn flour mixture whisking all the time. Cook for 1 minute stirring continuously. It should have a thick-ish consistency
- Pour this over the potatoes and cook in the oven for 25 minutes, take out and top with the tomatoes and cheese. Put back in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Serve with a rocket or spinach salad. This is also delicious served cold as a side dish at barbeques
If you are not vegan you can use normal cheddar, parmesan or mozzarella to top this dish.
Linking up to Peas and Crayons – check out the other bloggers
How are the new year resolutions going?
Has anyone else got a book in the pipeline or published? Leave a link if you do so I can have a look and download
I am a new lover of Quinoa, less than a year, but I absolutely love everything about it! Its texture, its versatility and the flavours it can take. When I first bough quinoa I followed the instructions on the back of the packet but it turned in to a pan of mush, NOT the most appealing 😀 Then I read up online and found out the instructions on the label were way off, you cook one park quinoa to 2 parts water (after rinsing) I found that once rinsed if I put in a pan with a little olive/spray oil and cook for a few minutes before adding the liquid it gets a better crunch 🙂 This salad is so fresh and tasty – you can add whatever tickles your fancy to the quinoa. Its a great alternative to couscous and rice and its Gluten Free!
I marinade the chicken breasts as it makes them so juicy and tender.
- Half Cup of raw quinoa
- Spray oil/splash olive oil
- Cup of Water (or stock if you prefer)
- 1 Onion – diced
- 1 Carrot diced
- 5-6 Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Jalapenos (optional)
- Handful of Fresh Herbs (I used Basil but Parsley or Coriander would be just as nice)
- 2 Breasts of Chicken
- Lemon Juice to taste
- 2 Tbsp Natural low fat Yogurt
- 2 tsp Cajun spices,
- 1 tsp paprika,
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Splash of lemon juice
- Mix Marinade ingredients together, add Chicken breasts and make sure they are coated. Leave for as long as possible
- Rinse Quinoa well in a sieve under running water
- Add oil to pan and heat add rinsed Quinoa and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add Water/Stock to the pan and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until all the water has evaporated
- Put lid on turn off the heat after 5 minutes fluff the quinoa up with a fork
- Heat your char-grill pan to high and once hot add your chicken breasts sear on both side and turn the heat to medium turning to get crisscross marks on the chicken
- Once cooked put your chicken on to a plate to rest
- Add onions, carrots, sundried tomatoes, lemon juice, jalapenos and herbs to the quinoa. Season to taste
- Place the quinoa in the middle of plate or large pasta bowl and add your sliced chicken breast to the top
Following on from my WIAW post from yesterday here is the recipe for what I must say are the most delicious chicken burgers EVER! The Brie melting in the center and the addition of mustard mayo just makes them über tasty! Self praise is no praise and all that but they really are so good! 😀 😉
I made 3 large burgers but you would easily get 4 burgers from this mixture. I served mine with a lettuce bun, mustard mayo, tomato and onion. The hubby had all of that but in a wholemeal bap. New to this recipe is the calorie count, as requested by one of my Facebook Fans – your wish is my command Ava 😉
Please make sure you remove all visible fat and sinus off the chicken, this really is one of my pet hates!
- 2 Chicken Breasts 7-8oz or 400g minced chicken
- 1/4 of a hot chilli
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder or 1 garlic clove
- 30g of Brie
- 1 scallion (spring onion)
- 1 Tsp of Paprika
- Spray oil
- Tablespoon of fresh chopped Parsley
- 1 Tbsp of almond flour
- 1 Tbsp of reduced fat mayo
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- Half a little Gem Lettuce (or whatever lettuce you prefer)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion Slices
- Pre-heat Oven to 180c and put in a cooking tray
- Mince the chicken in pulses in your food processor if using breasts, don’t mince too much as they will go to mush…a few pulses should do it.
- In a bowl add the chicken mince, scallion, chilli, paprika, garlic powder, parsley, egg white and almond flour
- Shape the mixture in to burgers
- Cut the brie in to 4 pieces if making 4 burgers (3 if making 3 burgers etc) Put the brie in to centre of the burger and cover with the mixture and shape back in to a burger
- Spray your frying pan (I used my new stirfry pan! as I couldn’t wait to use it how sad is that?! ) with spray oil Once heated up fry the burgers until browned on both sides ,3-4 minutes each side
- Place the burgers on the preheated tray and finish cooking in the oven for 8-10 minutes depending on the size of your burgers
- Make the mustard mayo by adding the mayo and mustard together,put a dollop of mustard mayo, sliced tomatoes and onions on the lettuce, top with the burger and dig in!
I topped with more onions, ketchup and another lettuce leaf so I could pick it up as a burger.
Here’s a pic of mine
Lettuce bun gluten free chicken burger
And the hubbys 🙂
Chicken Burger in Wholemeal Bap
- 177 with the lettuce bun (4 burgers)
- 202 with lettuce bun (3 burgers)
- Add 152 calories if using the Wholemeal Bap
Let me know your thoughts?
Whats your all time favourite Burger?