Sorry it has taken me longer than the expected time to get this recipe up but it is worth the wait I PROMISE!
I know that blue cheese is not everyone’s cup of tea BUT I love every type of cheese, especially blue cheese…the smellier the better LOL 🙂 this bread was an experimentation that worked a treat! The hubby and my brother loved it too – SCORE!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free white flour (I use doves farm)
- 1 cup gluten-free oats (I used red mill)
- 1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 2oz / 50g blue cheese (I used a stilton but you can use danish blue or any other preferred type) roughly chopped / crumbed
- 1/2 cup walnut halves – roughly chopped
- Few thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) buttermilk
- Pre-heat oven to 180F / 350C and grease a 2lb bread loaf tin
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, oats and baking soda.
- Next add in the walnuts and blue cheese before add the buttermilk.
- Pour the mixture in to the tin (it should only come almost 3/4 of the way up)
- Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through (check with a skewer through the center) and tapping the bottom of the loaf for a hollow sound.
Allow to cool on a wire rack COMPLETELY before diving in. This is delicious fresh or toasted. I am going to make a few batches for Christmas.
I would love to know……
What’s your favorite topping for bread / toast? (mine is bovril on toast – I am weird I know!)
What the most unusual combination you have put together in a recipe?