Meatless Monday – Mini Frittatas
These little frittatas are so tasty and the great thing about frittata is you can put nearly anything you have in the fridge in to them and they will still taste GREAT! They cook very quickly – I baked them in the oven and they only took 20 minutes. This mixture can be made in to mini-mini frittatas and would be perfect as canapès – cook them in a mini muffin tray or silicone mini muffin tray.
The ingredients below made three mini frittatas in ramekins that measured 9.5cm in diameter and 5cm in height.
- Spray oil
- 1 medium white onion – sliced
- 1 small carrot – small Julienne (I used my Julienne peeler so they are really thin)
- 50g Butternut Squash – Julienne (same as above)
- 1/2 garlic clove – crushed
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 6 Small Broccoli florets
- 4 Free range medium eggs
- Splash of skimmed milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 Sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- Handful of raw baby spinach roughly chopped
- 30g / 2 tbsp Parmesan – grated
- 30g / 2 tbsp Mature Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 200’c / 400’f
- Heat a frying pan / wok and spray with oil and spray oil or butter the ramekins
- Once heated to a medium heat add the onions and cook until soft and translucent. Add the carrots butternut squash and stir fry. Turn the heat down and add the garlic stir making sure not to burn as it will go bitter. Add the paprika and spinach, cook for 2-3 minutes and take off the heat.
- Steam the broccoli for a couple of minutes until al-dente as they will cook more in the oven
- Mix the eggs and milk together with freshly ground pepper
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, broccoli and mixture from the frying pan
- Mix really well and add parmesan
- Pour the mixture 3/4 way up ramekins as they will rise and you don’t want the mixture to overflow in the oven
- Bake for 20 minutes then serve with some tomato chutney.
These are also great for breakfast on the go, bake in a muffin tin for 20 mins and cool store in the fridge overnight. In the morning heat for 30 seconds in the microwave and eat on the go!
Happy Monday folks!