This soup is delicious and so easy to make. Great for lunch or if hungry between meals a mug of it will keep you going. Its only 77 calories per serving so great for anyone watching the calories. You can jazz this up too with some cheese croutons on top – perfect for a starter at a dinner party.
- Spray oil
- 1 onion – roughly diced
- 2-3 carrots – roughly diced
- 1 clove of garlic – crushed
- 2 Tomatoes de-skinned and roughly chopped (See note)
- 400g (1 tin) of tomatoes
- 1 litre of Chicken / Veg Stock (Homemade or bought)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- Handful of fresh Basil – torn at the end just before adding to the soup
- Freshly ground black pepper
Note: To de-skin the tomatoes make a cross on the bottom of the tomatoes and put in to a narrow bowl or measuring jug and cover completely with boiling water. After 1-2 minutes remove the tomatoes, be careful not to burn yourself. Peel the skin off the tomatoes and roughly chop.
- Heat a saucepan on a medium heat and spray a few times with spray oil. Add the onions and cook until translucent and soft
- Add the carrots and garlic, stir everything. Dont let the garlic burn as it will become bitter
- Add the de-skinned tomatoes and tinned tomatoes, stock, spices and seasoning
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the carrots are cooked. Taste for seasoning
- Whizz the soup up with a hand blender or put in food processor add the torn basil
- Serve with homemade brown bread or banana and walnut bread
Soup season is upon us and I love coming up with new tastes in soup, you can almost never go wrong. Potato and Pepper and Tom Yum soup is a few other of my faves….
What is your favourite soup for winter?
What is the strangest or most exotic soup you have tasted?
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Basil Oil (buddhasmenu.com)