How was everyone’s weekend? Mine was quiet enough with a LOT of baking on Saturday. One of the items I made was this banana and walnut spelt bread and boy is it good. Its quick and easy to make also, no kneading or yeast here. It is also eggless! Its perfect with soup or toasted for breakfast. I love it! So instead of a big introduction here is the recipe
- 1 Cup / 115g Whole Spelt Flour
- 1 Cup / 58g Wheat Bran
- 1 Cup / 90g Rolled Oats
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda / Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup / 65g Walnuts – chopped roughly
- 1 Medium ripe banana
- 1 cup / 250ml Buttermilk
- Pre-heat oven to 200’c / 400’f
- Spray a bread tin with spray oil
- In a bowl mix together spelt flour, wheat bran, oats, bicarbonate of soda and walnuts.
- Mash the banana and add to the mixture along with the buttermilk. The mixture will be wet, that’s perfect.
- Put the mixture in to the oiled bread tin
- Bake for 50 minutes in the middle of oven
- Check the bread by knocking the base and if you hear a hollow sound it is cooked
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely before cutting
Whats your favourite bread?
Do you get much baking / cooking done at the weekends?