Chicken and Broccoli Bake has been a firm favorite in our house for YEARS! There was a coffee shop in town that used to make a wicked one when we were younger, it was called The Country Kitchen and it closed a good few years ago now unfortunately, but I started cooking this recipe trying to recreate the flavors in theirs. I have now got it perfected, which is not to say I do it the same way each time as I like to change the topping now and again. For a gluten-free version substitute the wholemeal breadcrumbs in the topping for gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Serves 2 (in individual dishes)
- Two chicken breasts – trimmed and cut in to large cubes
- 120g Broccoli florets
- 1 onion – diced
- Large splash of white wine (150ml)
- 1 Tbsp Flora Light (or any other butter you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp of rice flour
- 200ml of skimmed milk
- 50g Mature Cheddar – grated
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder / crushed garlic clove
- 6 basil leaves torn
- 1 slice of nimble bread (any wholemeal slice will do)
- Pre-heat Oven to 200’c
- Poach your chicken breast cubes in water or stock until cooked
- Make your white wine sauce by frying your onion in olive oil until soft then add the garlic. Add the wine and let it reduce by half then add the butter, flour and milk at once and whisk until smooth. Add 20g of the grated cheddar and the nutmeg to the sauce and season with sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken cubes in the dish you are making the bake in, if using individual dishes split in half. Do the same with the Broccoli. Add the basil to the bechamel sauce then pour over the chicken and broccoli.
- Toast the slice of bread and then make in to breadcrumbs in food processor
- Sprinkle on to the bake and cook for 10 minutes in the oven. Remove and add the remainder of the grated cheese and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve with homemade chunky chips or a tossed salad
I have a few other toppings I use and will get them up as soon as I have some photos
What is your favorite bake or pie recipe?
Whats your preferred topping?
- Gruyere Broccoli Bake (makethefirstbitecount.wordpress.com)
- Creamy Chicken, Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake (mylittlejarofspices.com)
- Parmesan Spinach, Broccoli and Chicken Bake (hauteapplepie.com)