I just LOVE Moussaka, its so tasty and you can add loads of vegetables to the mince or omit the mince and just use vegetables for a vegetarian option, diced mushrooms would work well. This recipe serves 4 with a nice salad and maybe some homemade wedges for the very hungry!
- 2 Medium Aubergines (eggplants) Sliced to 1/4 inch slices
- Olive oil / Spray Oil
- 450 g lean Steak Mince (you can use lamb mince if you prefer)
- 2 Medium Onions, peeled and diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Courgette (Zucchini) diced
- 400g can Tinned Tomatoes (whizzed up) or Passata
- 1 Tsp of dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Sea salt
- Fresh Basil leaves 8
- 1 Red Pepper Diced
- Tbsp Tomato Puree
- Freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f Put the grill (broiler) on to hot
Spray the baking dish you are going to be cooking in the Moussaka in with spray oil. A square or rectangle dish is usually best
Spray a baking sheet with spray oil and add the aubergines (eggplant) spray each side with oil and season with salt and black pepper, cook until both sides are browned.
Heat a pan and add the steak mince, cook until browned. Put the mince in to a colander to drain the fat off.
Heat the olive oil or spray oil in the pan and add your onions, courgettes and peppers.
Cook until soft then add the garlic, cook for a few minutes. Put the steak mince back in along with the oregano, tomato puree and tinned tomatoes.
Let this cook for half an hour. Take off the heat and add the torn fresh Basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp butter (I use Flora Light)
- 2 Tbsp Rice flour
- 1/4 cup/30g Grated Parmesan
- 1/4 Cup/30g Low fat Mozzarella (I grated it)
I use the all in one method for the while sauce. Add the butter, flour and milk to a pan and heat whisking all the time. You will get a smooth white sauce. Add half the cheese, keeping the rest for the top.
Place a half the aubergines on the bottom of your casserole dish top with half the mince mixture.
Repeat and top with the cheese sauce and the rest of the cheese
Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until golden and bubbling
Do you LOVE Moussaka?
Has anyone every had Moussaka in Greece?
- New Recipe- Veggie Moussaka – WIAW (chasetheredgrape.com)
- Romanian Moussaka (romanianrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Moussssaka! (thequiseen.com)