The weather has been so wet and wild here in Ireland the last few days and that means one thing….hearty comfort food! But me being me the hearty food is healthy too. This Italian beef stew takes 3-4 hours in the oven and the meat is just melt in the mouth. Seriously good fodder! 😀 The recipe below serves 2-3 people and can easily be adjusted to make larger quantities. You can serve with mashed potato if you like, We have it on its own with himself having a fresh crusty roll to mop up all the juices 🙂
I used a selection of rainbow carrots as they had them in the supermarket, they had purple, yellow and orange ones. They looked and tasted great but you can’t beat your own homegrown! You can omit the baby potatoes and add other vegetables like extra butternut squash, parsnips or turnip (swede) if you are trying to cut the carbs. This recipe is Gluten-Free.
Sorry about the quality of the photo, it was so dark outside when I took it and the lighting isn’t the best. I will get better at the photo taking in time 🙂
- 450g of stewing beef cut in to large cubes
- 6 shallots left whole
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped in large pieces
- 1/4 butternut squash, large cubes
- 4 baby potatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp of tomato puree
- Glass of Red wine
- 250ml of Stock (I used chicken)
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 100ml of Passata for richness (You can use tinned tomatoes either)
- Fresh Thyme
- 1-2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 10-12 Sage leaves
- Spray oil
- Pre-heat Oven to 160’c / 325f
- Put the casserole dish you will be using on the heat and spray with oil.
- Add your shallots and sage and fry for a minute or two then add the garlic
- Add the paprika, all the veg and meat, mix together.
- Add the red wine and all the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, put the lid on the casserole dish and put in the preheated oven. Check after 3 hours to see if the meat is tender if not put back in for an hour.
I’m off to experiment with a pumpkin now, updates to follow of course 🙂 But before you go a question I would love to hear your replies to…..
Whats your favourite comfort food?
- Fall Favorites – Beef Stew (withjustabitofmagic.com)
- Tips For Cooking Crock Pot Beef Stew (inpeak.wordpress.com)
- Beef Stew (throughtheovenwindow.wordpress.com)
- Looking Back at the Beef Stew (kds29c.wordpress.com)